Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cast off!

FINALLY!
The day finally came to get Chris' cast off. We were all ready to not have to wrap his arm up for his daily shower, or cushion and wrap it up for every football practice or game. Chris was tired of not being able to play the violin and only plucking the strings in class. We were also tired of trying to pull his white shirt over it every sunday with the seams threatening to bust at any time.
After the dr.'s assistant cut the cast, she asked if we wanted to save it. Um.... no. Thanks? Do people REALLY save the casts? Well, I am just not that devoted a mother. (Ok, so my bishop's mom still has his cast from when he was a kid. She can HAVE the trophy for best mom. If that's what's required to get it, count me out! Yuck!)

Now, I was told that it would smell.... really bad. But I was not prepared for how bad it was. Thinking about it though, I realized that it was never really cleaned after it was broken before the cast was put on. Add that to the fact that Chris was at football practice 3 days a week and played (hard) in a game every weekend and you have one smelly cast. So I made Chris scrub.... and scrub..... and scrub. Until....

The poor kid had a nice raw spot on his wrist. Oh well. The Dr. saw that it had healed a little bent. He said it wouldn't matter and would eventually fix itself, or not, but it would be fine either way. But if we were concerned about it we could 'fix' it. I left that up to Chris. He decided to take his chances with a slightly irregular bone. Good answer!






1 comment:

Ted and Leslie said...

Knock on wood, but we haven't ever had broken bones here. Stitches, yes, but bones so far are intact. Didn't the cast smell too? People want to keep that??